Get Me Through

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a New Year

My co-workers are offended by Merry Christmas, so I try never to say it at work, and thus, end up not saying it much at all (habits in work life bleed over to personal life and vice versa). Never mind the fact that some of them feel they can pretty much attack my religion whenever they want. Keep in mind that this is coming from me. I have no Jesus paraphanalia at my desk and very little in my house for that matter. I do not bring up my religion as a matter of course throughout my daily activities with anyone except close friends and this blog. However, I am subjected to regular rants about how Christianity is based on the Zodiac or about how it's a fable or a myth that no intelligent person should believe. If I said anything like that about some other religion, I would be fired, but it's OK because I'm a Christian; therefore, I should be railed against. And it pisses me off. But I look at it like this: I know better. I need to be forgiving and loving. So I say Happy Holidays.

Which offends my mom. This is a lot of fun because she too knows better. And she gets mad at me for saying, "Well, Mom, there are other holidays that people celebrate at this time of year." But she believes she has the One True Religion, so she says Merry Christmas. And she does this in the name of Jesus because she thinks it's right.

When did our well-wishes become statements about our religion? I was under the impression that many people who are not Christian celebrate Christmas. Technically, the holiday has its roots in paganism. And why is it so offensive to Christians that other people celebrate other holidays? Does it really hurt you to wish them a happy whatever they celebrate? Besides, who doesn't like presents and saying kind words to strangers? I would take a Hanukkuh present if someone felt so inclined (though it probably does not work that way). Feel free to wish me Happy Kwanzaa.

I liked the days when you could wish someone Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas. I realize that I'm ignorant about some things, but I wish that rather than automatically assuming the worst about people, we could cut each other some slack and assume that since there is no other occasion for good will in this society (name one holiday that celebrates good will besides the set of holidays in December. Go ahead.), people mean to use the time of year to tell you that they value you. And each person does this in a different way. Rather than assuming that this holiday is only about the receiver, maybe we could believe that it's about the givers. That giving someone something (a card, a gift, a kind word, a pat on the back) is an act that says, "I was thinking of you and wish to honor you through my culture." I don't know. That's just me. I feel like everybody, Christians and non, should just chill.

Last year, I bought Christmas cards that said "Merry Everything and Happy Always." I enjoy this. It may become my new greeting just to create some controversy.

I have to say that I'm a little relieved that the holidays are over, and I can wish everybody a Happy New Year... wait a minute...

3 Comments:

  • ya know, every year i look for the people brave enough to wish me "Happy [insert personal holiday here]". when i worked in food service, and encountered many people on a daily basis, i got the occasional Happy Hannukah, and it always made me smile. now that i work in corporate america, i never hear anything besides Happy Holidays. stupid lawsuit-hungry country.

    By Blogger dr gonzo, at 10:11 AM  

  • I know! I just loved my cards that said "Merry everything and happy always." But then, I am a smart ass.

    By Blogger GetMeThrough, at 2:30 PM  

  • “Oh. A bigger studio. It dawns on me, stupid me, that Henry could win the lottery at any time at all; that he has never bothered to do so because it's not normal; that he has decided to set aside his fanatical dedication to living like a normal person so I can have a studio big enough to roller-skate across; that I am being an ingrate.
    Flights to Johannesburg
    Cheap Flights to Johannesburg
    Cheap Air Tickets to Johannesburg

    By Blogger Martina Jolie, at 6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home