Get Me Through

Friday, December 16, 2005

Blessings Counted? Check.

Well, I've been trying the whole "Surprise me, God" thing for a week now, and I would have to say this. First, I'm probably thinking about it incorrectly. You're not neccessarily going to get nice surprises. Second, I tend to agree with Rhett. It is sort of like asking the universe for a surprise. Well, unless you're clarvoyant, of course you're going to be surprised.

What I am discovering is that it's helping me to be a little less negative overall. This is not to say that I've been especially pleasant because I haven't been. In fact, I've been suffering from a bad case of emotional funk. This is sort of like regular funk, but rather than stinking up the house, emotional funk is a cloud of icky emotions that stinks up the astral plane.

But it could have been a much worse state of emotional funk, and it wasn't because all week, I've been re-learning how to count my blessings. I think of surprises as pleasant, even though I've had one or two unpleasant ones this week (beginning shortly after I wrote my last entry.) When I get to the end of the day, I have to think about the things that happened. This gets me thinking about all the good things that happened to me during the day to see if this or that might be the surprise. And one or two days have held some really good things, but I'm not entirely sure that those things are "the surprise."

I'm sort of the opinion that maybe the process is supposed to teach you something, and that winds up being the surprise. If that is the case, then I would say that so far, I'm seeing that I need to spend more time thinking about the good things that go on in the day. Hokey as that sounds, it's been nice to spend some time focusing in on the things that I liked about the day rather than the things I didn't like about the day. And yeah, it's becoming a little less unique, and it's starting to seem like one more thing I have to check off my get-ready-for-bed list, but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. I usually go home and try to process out how I can fix what went wrong during the day, and then I wind up stressed and cranky.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still stressed and cranky, but now I'm spending a little less time each day in that state of being, and so far, that's the surprise I've gotten from this experiment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home